Commercial vacuum cleaners are big, powerful machines that are designed for the rigors of professional-grade work. If you think you need something more heavy-duty than a regular home vac, here are our top picks for the best commercial vacuum from the market.
1. Oreck Commercial XL 2100RHS
2. Vacmaster VFB511B0201 Commercial Vacuum
3. Hoover C2401 Commercial Vacuum
4. Hoover CH30000 Commercial Vacuum
5. Oreck Commercial BB900DGR XL Pro Vacuum
6. Sanitaire SC3683B Commercial Vacuum
his is a good all-round machine that can be used in many situations
7. Bissell Garage Pro 18P03 Commercial Vacuum
This is a wet/dry vacuum, meaning you can use it to clean up liquid spills as well as for dry mess
Best Commercial Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
1. Best Commercial Upright Vacuum: Oreck XL2100RHS
This is a commercial upright vacuum cleaner from Oreck. It has a 30ft cord and a 12” clearing path. It uses bags, which are removed and replaced at the top. It also features side edge brushes to help when vacuuming against walls and includes non-marring bumpers.
It has plenty of features that make it a highly practical option. We like the auto-floor adjust function that allows it to transition easily between floor types without the need for any manual adjustment. It is suitable for use on just about any kind of surface.
It is a very powerful machine that will suck up anything in its path. It incorporates a high-speed double helix brush roll that spins at 6,500 RPM, helping ensure that nothing gets missed.
The handle is ergonomically designed and all but eliminates squeezing – it has received the Ease of Use commendation from the Arthritis Foundation. It also benefits from a furniture-friendly design that allows you to reach under furniture with ease.
Another big positive worth mentioning is the price since it is very affordable for what it is. This unit represents great value for money.
On the downside, it is an extremely loud vacuum, and the noise it makes is quite unpleasant. Also, the cord is quite thick, making the vacuum more unwieldy than would seem necessary.
However, if you are looking for a no-frills vacuum on the market that gets the job done and are willing to put up with these minor inconveniences, this model would be an excellent choice. Highly recommended.
- Helping Hand handle eliminates squeezing – approved by the Arthritis Foundation
- Automatic adjust – no manual adjustments when transitioning between floor types
- Powerful high-speed brush roll – spins at 6,500 RPM
- Furniture-friendly design – allows you to reach under furniture with ease
- Side edge brushes – to help pick up all dirt when cleaning along walls
- Very loud vacuum – and the noise is unpleasant
- Thick cord – adds a lot of weight to the vacuum and makes it more cumbersome
2. Best Commercial Bagless Vacuum: Vacmaster VJH1211PF0201
This is a powerful, professional-grade wet/dry shop vac on the market. It features a 5gal polypropylene tank, comes with a range of tools and is designed for those who need a no-nonsense vacuum for the workshop, the garage or the Jobsite.
The first thing you will notice about this unit is the power it generates. It incorporates a 5.5Hp single-speed motor that the manufacturer claims to be “best in class”, and the suction it delivers is as powerful as you could ask for.
It comes complete with a range of useful tools, including a utility nozzle, a crevice tool, a floor nozzle with squeegee and brush and more. This gives you plenty of versatility for a range of cleaning applications.
It includes a 18ft cord and integrated cord storage for convenience, and the vacuum can also be switched to blower mode for other types of cleaning operations.
This is a utilitarian and functional unit with no frills and is ideal for commercial use. It sells for an extremely reasonable price, and as such, there are few major negatives.
One slight issue is the lack of wheels, which reduces its mobility. However, these can be bought separately, so it’s not a big deal.
Also, since it is so powerful, it is probably unsuitable for home use – if you want a commercial vac that can also be used on your carpets, this is probably not the one.
All in all, this is a solid and reliable unit that will help you clean up with a minimum of fuss. If you are looking for a budget-friendly commercial vacuum and you don’t need anything with all the bells and whistles, this should be high on your list of options.
- Very powerful – powered by 5.5 Hp single-speed motor
- Comes with a selection of attachments – including utility nozzle, crevice tool, etc.
- Flat top for tool storage – for extra convenience
- 5gal polypropylene tank – plenty for even the biggest jobs
- Integrated cord storage – to keep it safe and tidy when not in use
- No wheels included – although can be bought separately
- Perhaps too powerful to use on carpets – not good for home use
3. Best Commercial Backpack Vacuum: Hoover C2401
This is a backpack commercial vacuum cleaner from Hoover. By strapping the vacuum to your back instead of pushing or pulling it around, you give yourself a whole extra level of mobility, allowing you to quickly clean a much larger area.
Since you wear it on your back, the weight is important, but with this model, it isn’t a problem. It weighs around 10lbs, meaning most people will be able to carry it comfortably, even for longer periods.
The harness has also been designed by chiropractors, ensuring that the weight is distributed evenly, reducing the strain on your back.
Another useful feature is the long 48ft cord. Again, this helps increase mobility and allows you to keep working for longer without the need to stop often to plug it into different outlets as you move.
We like the accessory pack it comes with. You get a 6” crevice tool, an 11” turbo floor tool, a 2” dusting brush and a 4” upholstery tool – all of which makes this a highly versatile vac you can use for a whole range of applications.
To throw in a couple of negatives, it is a little awkward to switch on and off once it is on your back – it’s easier to just take it off to do it, and the switch could have been better placed.
Also, this vacuum is not designed for cleaning home-style carpets. It is ideal for hard surfaces or very low pile office-style carpets, but for home use, you are better off using something better adapted to that type of floor.
Overall, we like this unit a lot. We like the idea of being able to carry the vac on your back and the extra mobility this gives you. Although this unit costs a little more than some others on the market, we think it’s still great value – and if you are willing to pay a bit more, this would be a solid option.
- Long 48ft cord – also gives increased mobility
- Chiropractor-designed harness – to decrease strain on the back
- Quiet operation – despite being a large, powerful unit
- Lightweight design for extra mobility – less than 10lbs
- Includes accessory pack – with 6” crevice tool, 11” turbo floor tool and more
- Difficult to switch on/off when on your back – need to take it off
- Not good for home-style carpets – although works well on office carpets
4. Best Lightweight Commercial Vacuum: Hoover CH30000
If you like the idea of a vacuum you carry around with you, but the Hoover model above seems like it’s a bit too much, this smaller, more compact version might be a better option.
It isn’t a backpack model – with this one, you carry it using a shoulder strap, and at only 8.3lbs, it’s very lightweight, meaning just about anyone can manage it. Since you carry it with you, it gives you plenty of mobility, especially since it comes with a 33ft cord as well as a stretching hose.
One feature we like is the reusable cloth bag. When it gets full, you just empty out and keep going. This means you won’t need to spend money on disposable paper bags – although it is also possible to use paper bags with an adapter if you prefer.
This vacuum is supplied with a range of accessories that give you greater versatility over how and what you clean with it. The blower function is also a welcome addition, giving you yet another option for how you deal with any build-ups of dirt or debris.
On the downside, the suction this machine produces is a little lacking. While it’s by no means weak, it is a little less powerful than what you would hope for on a “commercial” vacuum.
Another minor issue is that the shoulder strap lacks a pad. Although it is a very lightweight unit, a shoulder strap would have made it more comfortable.
To summarize, this is a great little vacuum for small scale commercial use. It retails at a very reasonable price, and if you don’t need anything too extreme, it could be ideal. However, if you need more raw suction power, there are probably better options on the market to look at.
- Lightweight and easy to carry – weighs only 8.3lbs
- Reusable cloth bag – or can use paper bags with an adapter
- 33ft cord – gives plenty of mobility
- Includes accessory pack – to help with a range of cleaning applications
- Blower function – gives extra versatility in cleaning
- Shoulder strap lacks pad – would have increased comfort
- Slightly lacking in power – not quite what you expect of commercial-grade
5. Best Handheld Commercial Vacuum: Oreck BB900DGR XL Pro
If you like the idea of the Hoover above and you are looking for other options to compare it with, this unit from Oreck is another similar model. It is carried over the shoulder on a strap, giving you plenty of mobility to clean wherever you need to go.
It incorporates a powerful 4amp two-stage bypass motor that delivers plenty of suction power to deal with a range of cleaning jobs. It also comes with a complete set of detailing tools to give you maximum flexibility over how you use it.
It has a long 30ft cord that is also designed to give you maximum maneuverability, and the adjustable extension wand and 4ft hose allow you to clean in tight corners, overhead or in any other inaccessible spots.
We like that this is such a lightweight and compact unit, also adding to its convenience and practicality of use.
One downside we need to mention is the strap. It is not attached to the main unit very securely, and it is possible for the strap to come unattached. This is a design flaw, but if you are careful, you can minimize the risk, so it isn’t a deal-breaker.
Also, we might complain that this vacuum has a slightly flimsy feel to it – many of the components are obviously not high quality. However, at this price point, this is understandable, and again, this is something most people will be willing to accept.
Despite these minor issues, this is another sound choice if you like the idea of a vacuum with a shoulder strap. It is mobile, lightweight and convenient to use – and if you value these qualities, it is another obvious option to consider.
- Powerful motor – delivers more suction than most comparable machines on market
- Includes detailing tools – for a variety of uses
- Adjustable extension wand and 4ft hose – ideal for cleaning overhead
- Long cord – 30ft for extra reach and mobility
- Compact unit – small, lightweight and easy to handle
- Poor strap design – can come free, allowing the vacuum to fall
- Slightly flimsy feel – not made with high-quality components
6. Best Commercial Canister Vacuum: Sanitaire SC3683B
This commercial vacuum from Sanitaire is similar to the previous two units we’ve looked at in that it has a shoulder strap – but this model also has wheels, giving you the best of both worlds. With this vac, you can either carry it on your shoulder or pull it behind as you work.
It comes with a range of useful attachments, including a dusting brush, a crevice tool, a two-piece extension wand, and an upholstery tool. This gives it an extra level of versatility, allowing you to use it for a range of cleaning tasks.
We like how it is easy to maintain – it is a simple operation to open it and empty it when the time comes.
It works especially well on bare floors or hard surfaces. However, it doesn’t perform quite as well on carpet – so if you are looking for a vac to use on your carpets, this might not be the best pick.
Another issue that people should be aware of is that this vacuum is very noisy, so if you are sensitive to noise, this is also possibly one to avoid.
Overall, despite the drawbacks, this is a good all-round machine that can be used in many situations. If you are looking for a vac that is especially good on harder surfaces – and that comes with a reasonable price tag – then this is one that should on your radar.
- Good for cleaning bare floors and hard surfaces – a good option for this
- Good suction power – more powerful than many models in its class
- Shoulder strap and wheels – can be carried or pulled
- Comes with a set of attachments – includes crevice tool, dusting brush and more
- Easy to maintain – easy-access for emptying
- Loud unit – some people will find it uncomfortably noisy
- Doesn’t perform well on carpets – not really designed for this type of job
7. Best Industrial Vacuum Cleaner: Bissell Garage Pro 18P03
If you want to try something different for your garage or workshop, this wall-mounted vacuum from Bissell could be an option. The vac is hung on the wall and you clean using the extra-long 32ft hose that is designed to give you plenty of reach.
This is a wet/dry vacuum, meaning you can use it to clean up liquid spills as well as for dry mess. It also comes with a set of seven different attachments that make it suitable for a range of uses, including cleaning cars, floors and more.
It also includes a blower function, allowing you to use it to blast dirt and debris away as well as sucking it up.
One downside with this unit is that the suction power is a little disappointing. It is by no means weak, but you might expect a little more from a large wall-mounted unit such as this.
Also, the components are not high quality – although, at this price point, they are about what you would expect.
All in all, a good option if you need a vacuum for one particular area like inside a garage or workshop. If that’s what you’re looking for, a wall-mounted vacuum like this could be the practical solution you require.
- Wall-mounted – saves space on the floor and doesn’t need to be moved around
- Wet/dry vacuum – can be used to clean up wet or dry mess
- Comes with 7 attachments – highly versatile for a range of tasks
- 32ft hose – gives plenty of reach to clean anywhere
- Blower capability – gives you another cleaning option
- Suction a little disappointing – adequate but not quite what you’d expect
- Components, not top-end quality – although acceptable for the price
How To Choose A Commercial Vacuum: A Buyer’s Guide
If you are thinking about buying a commercial vacuum cleaner from the market, you are probably wondering which factors to consider when choosing. We’ll have a look at some of the most important in a moment, but first, let’s start at the beginning – what is a commercial vacuum cleaner?
Commercial vacuum cleaners are the type that is commonly found in hospitals, hotels, schools and offices. They are used to clean larger areas than regular home vacuums and will see more intensive use.
For these reasons, they need to be tougher and more durable than regular vacs, and they also need to be able to deal with more stubborn kinds of dirt and mess.
These qualities also make them suitable for use in environments such as workshops or garages, and if you think it might be useful to own one, here are the things you should pay attention when choosing.
When it comes to commercial vacuums, there are a few different styles to choose from the market.
- Backpack vacuums are carried on the user’s back, giving excellent mobility and maneuverability. However, some people might find them heavy to wear for long periods.
- Canister vacuums are usually wheeled behind the user, and you use a nozzle on a hose to clean with. They usually offer good power, and you don’t need to worry about carrying the weight. However, they are also less mobile than backpack versions.
- Upright vacuums also provide good power. You push them rather than pull them, making it easier to move from one area to another and transition from one floor type to another.
The suction power delivered by commercial-grade vacs should be more than you would expect from a regular home model. Make sure any vac you are interested in has enough power for your requirements.
Some commercial vacuums on the market are capable of sucking up the liquid mess as well as solid dirt. If you need this, make sure the vac you buy has this ability.
The capacity refers to how much dirt a vacuum can hold before it needs emptying. A larger capacity will allow you to work for longer without stopping – if you will be using your vac for larger jobs, make sure it has a large capacity.
Long cords will allow you to work further away from the power outlet and will also mean you won’t have to unplug and plugin again so often. If you need to vacuum larger areas, opt for a model with a longer cord.
Many commercial vacuums on the market are not suitable for use on home-style carpets – they are designed for hard floors or the kind of carpets commonly found in offices. If you want to be able to use your commercial vac on your carpets at home, make sure it is suitable for this application.
Bag or bagless?
Does the vacuum use a bag or is it bagless? If it uses a bag, you will need to remove it and replace it each time it gets full while with a bagless option, you empty it directly into the trash.
Choosing bagless means you won’t need to buy replacement bags all the time, but other than that, this is more a case of personal preference.
A wide range to choose from
As you can see, there is a wide range of commercial vacuum in different styles to pick from. Choosing the right one from the market can be tricky, so if you are still having trouble deciding on the best commercial vacuum for you, any of our top picks would be a great place to start looking.