If you have pets, you will be familiar with the constant battle against animal hair that sharing your home with furry friends entails. It seems to stick to everything, and it is all but impossible to get rid of it.
One option that can help in this daily fight is a specially-designed handheld vac. If you are thinking of investing in one, here are our top picks for best handheld vacuum cleaner for pet hair to help you choose the right one for you.
Best Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair On the Market of 2022
1. Best Overall: Dyson V6 Top Dog Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair
When it comes to high-end, high-performance vacuum cleaners, Dyson is one of the first names we think of. This top-of-the-range handheld model is designed specifically with pet owners in mind and bears all the hallmarks of the Dyson brand.
One thing that sets Dyson apart from much of the competition is the power the company’s vacuums can generate, and this one is no different. It produces high levels of suction that can pick up all the dirt, dust, pet hair and allergens it is confronted with.
It also features an innovative two-tier cyclone configuration, allowing it to trap even more dust, fine particles, and allergens inside.
It is small and lightweight, making it convenient for anyone to work with. You can use it at home, in the car or just about anywhere else you need to, and since it’s cordless, you aren’t restricted by having to work within range of a power outlet.
It comes with several useful attachments. For pet owners, the most useful will be the mini motorized tool that is ideal for picking up stubborn animal hair from floors, furniture and inside cars.
The crevice tool is very useful for cleaning in tight gaps or along angles, and the combination tool and stiff bristle brush are also useful in a variety of situations.
This unit incorporates a trigger release system that ensures the battery is only used when you are vacuuming. Nevertheless, the battery life is one of the more disappointing aspects of this model.
In regular mode, you can expect around 20 minutes of constant use – but in max power mode, you will only be able to use it for five or six minutes.
Also, this is quite a loud unit – although you might expect a certain amount of volume with something as powerful as this vac.
All in all, this is the kind of machine that will appeal to people who like to buy top-end equipment and who are willing to pay extra to get their hands on it. If you want a powerful, effective and versatile handheld vac for pets from the market, this model should be on your radar.
If you are interested in Dyson vacuum, you can read our post: Best Dyson Vacuum On The Market
What We Like
- Very powerful unit – picks up all dirt, debris, hair, and allergens
- Small and lightweight – convenient to use
- 2-tier radial cyclones – designed to trap even more dust and fine particles
- Mini motorized tool – perfect attachment for picking up animal hair
- Includes several other useful accessories – combination tool, crevice tool, etc
What We Don’t Like
- Battery life slightly disappointing – especially on maximum setting
- Noisy unit – makes a loud high-pitched noise
2. Best Budget: Dirt Devil BD30025B Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair
image: Dirt Devil
If you are looking for a handheld vacuum with plenty of power but that won’t burn a hole in your wallet, the Scorpion from Dirt Devil should be of interest.
Despite being one of the more affordable options available, it delivers a highly impressive level of suction power. This is ideal for picking up pet hair as well as just about anything else you might need it for.
One feature we particularly appreciate is the quick-flip crevice tool. Since it is built into the vacuum, you don’t need to worry about clipping it on when you need it – and there’s no chance of you losing it.
It also comes with an attachable 2.5ft hose that gives you extra reach to clean the more inaccessible spots in your home.
It has16 volt lithium battery with 2x faster charging time you can always use an extension.
The filter is washable, meaning you don’t need to worry about replacing it when it gets clogged. However, on the downside, it can become blocked quite quickly, so you might have to wash it fairly frequently, depending on how often you use the vacuum.
Also, it’s worth mentioning that this is quite a loud unit. If you’re sensitive to noise, you might prefer something a bit quieter.
In sum, a very affordable vacuum that performs admirably for something at this price point. If you are looking for a combination of strong power and a low price, this could be an obvious solution on the market.
What We Like
- Very powerful – good suction power for a budget option
- Quick-flip crevice tool – don’t need to worry about attaching it
- Lightweight and easy to use – weighs under 4lbs
- Includes 2.5ft extension hose – to give you extra reach
- Washable filter – don’t need to buy replacements when it gets clogged
What We Don’t Like
- Noisy machine – among the louder options out there
- Filters block up quickly – needs to be rinsed often
3. Best Cordless: Shark Pet Perfect II SV 780 Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair
Shark is one of the most established names when it comes to high-quality vacuum cleaners in the market, and at this price, this handheld model designed for homes with pets represents excellent value for money.
It generates an impressive amount of power which, when coupled with the detachable motorized brush, provides a thorough deep clean for your carpets. This vac is more than a match for almost any animal hair or encrusted dirt and grime it might meet.
One feature we appreciate is the versatile charging stand. It can be either mounted on a wall or stood upright on a table, according to your preference. This gives you more flexibility over how you store and charge your vacuum.
At only 4.25lbs, it is lightweight and easy to manage. It also comes with several useful add-ons – like the crevice tool for cleaning in gaps and along edges – that give it an extra level of versatility.
We like the washable filter, too. You won’t have to buy replacements when it gets clogged up – you just rinse it, let it dry, put it back in again and you’re ready to go.
However, it needs to be mentioned that the filter and the rest of the dust canister can become clogged by pet hair, and you will need to pull it out manually from time to time.
Also, the battery life is not quite what it should be. You can only expect around 25-30 minutes on a full charge, which might not be enough to finish the job if you have larger areas to vacuum.
Despite these minor issues, for a vacuum from a top brand that retails at such a reasonable price point, you can hardly go wrong. If you need a reliable, powerful handheld vac that performs well on pet hair, then this could be another obvious pick.
If you are interested in Shark vacuums, you can read our post: Best Shark Vacuum On The Market
What We Like
- Versatile charging stand – can be wall-mounted or placed on a tabletop
- Lightweight and manageable – weighs in at only 4.25lbs
- Washable filter – no need to buy replacements
- Deep cleaning for carpet – includes detachable motorized brush
- Good power – enough to pick up animal fur, ground-in dirt and more
What We Don’t Like
- Battery life could be better – can expect only around 25-30 minutes
- Pet hair can get caught inside – need to pull it out by hand
4. Best With Accessories: BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH Handheld Vacuum
This is a handheld vacuum from Black+Decker with a special stick floor head that allows it to function in the same way as a larger traditional vacuum. This means you can use it to clean the floors of larger areas.
For pet owners, it has a pet hair brush that will help when dealing with stubborn animal hair that gets stuck to furniture, etc., and the crevice tool also lets you clean inside gaps and along angles. Together, these add-ons turn it into a highly versatile vacuum.
It features three-stage filtration, meaning it can trap dust and other microparticles inside, helping improve air quality and remove allergens from the atmosphere.
It also boasts a cyclonic suction system that is designed to keep the filter clean, ensuring there is no loss of power as it fills up. It is also very powerful for a vacuum of this size – although it still can’t match larger corded versions.
Probably the biggest annoyance is the amount of noise it makes – this is not a vacuum for people who want a quiet model.
Also, the battery life is somewhat disappointing, and there are other options that perform better in this area.
To summarize, this will appeal to people who want a handheld vac that can deal with all their vacuuming needs in a small home with pets. Alternatively, it would work well as a convenient secondary vacuum for use on smaller jobs in larger homes with pets.
If you fall into either of these categories, this Black+Decker vacuum is well worth considering in the market.
What We Like
- Stick vacuum floor head – can be used as a traditional vacuum
- Includes several other accessories – makes it a versatile unit
- Cyclonic suction – helps keep the filter clean so no loss of power
- 3-stage filtration – traps dirt, dust, and microparticles inside
- Powerful for a vac of this class – plenty of suction for tougher jobs
What We Don’t Like
- Noisy unit – louder than many other options
- Battery life a little limited – some other vacuums go for longer
5. Best Professional: Bissell 33A1 Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair
If you are a pet owner, you will know how keeping animal hair under control is a never-ending struggle. While many handheld vacuums do a good job, not as many areas specialized as this pet hair remover from Bissell.
It comes with two tools, one of which is a rubber attachment specially designed for picking up the stubborn pet hair that sticks to your furniture, carpets, car seats and everywhere else.
This tool is incredibly efficient at this – there are few vacuums available that are quite as effective at removing every last hair.
The second tool included in the pack is used for clearing up other mess created by your pets, making this an invaluable tool if you share your home with animals.
It incorporates a multi-layer cyclonic filtration system to remove microparticles and allergens from the environment, and it features an easy to empty dust canister that opens at the push of a button.
This is a corded model, meaning you don’t have to worry about the battery running out. The cord is 16ft long – most people will probably find this long enough, but if not, it’s easy to use an extension for extra reach.
The main drawback with this unit is that it is a very specialized tool. While it works extremely well for pet hair and detritus, if you are looking for something a little more versatile, this is probably not a good pick – you won’t be able to use it for general cleaning.
Another issue is that the exhaust vents are located on the side and tend to blow other debris around – another reason why it isn’t ideal for regular vacuuming.
However, if you are looking for something just for dealing with pet hair in your home from the market, it is a highly effective tool that sells for a very reasonable price. If this is all you need to use it for, then it could be just what you require.
What We Like
- Lightweight and compact – easy for anyone to use
- Comes with two tools – one specially designed for picking up pet hair
- Works on most surfaces – including on upholstery, in cars, on stairs, etc
- Easy to empty – simply open the canister and tip away waste
- Very reasonably priced – affordable solution to pet hair
What We Don’t Like
- Only good for pet hair and mess – not a versatile unit
- Side vents – can blow other debris around as you work
Several worthy options
As you can see, there are several worthy options, each suited to different needs but all excellent choices when it comes to trying to win the eternal war against pet hair.
If you are on the lookout for the best handheld vacuum for pet hair but are still having a tough time coming to a decision, either of our top picks would be a great place to start your search.