Lightweight vacuums can be extremely useful tools to own. If you have a larger, heavier vac, a lighter model can be more practical for smaller jobs. Equally, if you only have a compact apartment, an inexpensive lightweight vac might be all you need to do your housework.
There is a wide range of lightweight models currently available on the market, and choosing the right one can be a challenge. If this is a problem you are currently facing, here are our picks for the best lightweight vacuum on the market to help you decide.
Best Lightweight Vacuum Comparison Chart 2020
SOWTECH 2 in 1 Lightweight Vacuum
Bissell 3 in 1 Lightweight Stick Vacuum
Dyson V7 Trigger Lightweight Vacuum
BLACK+DECKER CHV1410L Lightweight Vacuum
Hoover SH20030 Lightweight Vacuum
Onson C17 Lightweight Vacuum
Eureka NEN110A Lightweight Vacuum
The Best Lightweight Vacuum On the Market of 2020
1. Best Overall : SOWTECH Lightweight Vacuum
- Pro-Cyclone System: True pro-cyclonic suction, sucking out daily pet hair, paper debris and mites. 5th stage filtration separate more than 99% of the garbage, breathe the clean air every day
- Persistent Operation & 6 Attachments: Rechargeable battery constantly use for more than 40 mins. It can run for multiple rooms and studio department. 6 of accessories fit diversification cleaning requirements. Efficient and simple
- Lightweight & Cordless: The lightest cordless vacuum on the market, without winding troubles. The hand vacuum is the best gift for housekeeping and housewarming to parents, knee arthritis patients and white-collar workers
This is a highly versatile yet affordable lightweight vacuum from Sowtech. It is ideal for all kinds of vacuuming tasks around the house, including cleaning areas that are harder to reach with larger vacuums, and is ideal for people living in smaller apartments.
For such a compact unit, it delivers very respectable levels of suction. It is capable of picking up dust, debris, dirt, mites and more – it sucks up 99% of particles, leaving you with clean and more breathable air.
We like the way it comes with a range of six different attachments, including a floor brush, a square brush, a mattress tool, extension pipes and more. This makes it a highly versatile tool that will be useful for a variety of uses.
We also like the lifetime stainless-steel filter – this is a more environmentally friendly option than disposable filters and will also save you the cost of replacing the filter when it becomes clogged.
This is a battery-powered vacuum that can run for a respectable 40 minutes before it needs to be charged, plenty of time to deal with small to medium cleaning jobs.
Finally, another positive that will appeal to many people is the fact that this vacuum runs very quietly, meaning you won’t disturb family members or neighbors while you clean.
On the downside, this model is probably not suitable if you have a larger house. The battery simply won’t last long enough, and it isn’t practical for cleaning larger areas of the floor.
Also, it lacks the power required to vacuum deeper carpet types, so if that’s what you have, you might be better off looking elsewhere.
To summarize, a versatile and very reasonably-priced lightweight vacuum that does everything you would expect. If you live in a small apartment and need something to help keep your floors clean, this would be an excellent choice from the market.
What We Like
- Respectable suction power – pro-cyclone sucks up pet hair, mites, dust and more
- 5th stage filtration – removes 99% of particles, resulting in cleaner air
- 6 attachments – including floor brush, mattress tool and more
- Washable filter – cheaper and more environmentally friendly
- Quiet operation – won’t disturb anyone while you clean
What We Don’t Like
- Not suitable for large houses – best for compact apartments
- Lacks suction for thick carpets – better on the thin carpet and hard surfaces
2. Best Budget: Bissell 3 In 1 Lightweight Vacuum
- For use on carpet, bare floors, stairs and upholstery (3 different options of use)
- Quick release handle, it becomes a handheld vacuum cleaner, very useful for special places.
- Easy-wrap cord storage / Very easy to save
Bissell is known as a company that makes a range of reliable, functional vacuum cleaners that are always great value for money. This versatile corded model is another unit that follows in that tradition and is ideal for cleaning smaller apartments or other occasional cleaning jobs.
It features a versatile 3-in-1 design. It can be used as a stick vacuum, you can remove the handle to use it on the stairs or you can convert it into a hand-held unit for cleaning furniture or inside a car.
It is suitable for use on a wide range of surfaces, including carpet, hard floor, stairs, upholstery and more.
We like the way it is designed to keep the cord out of the way as you work, making it an extremely practical vacuum to use, and it is also very lightweight, making it suitable for just about anyone.
For an item as affordable as this, it hardly seems fair to talk about the downsides. If we have to mention a couple, we might point out that it loses suction as it fills up, meaning you may need to empty it as you work.
Also, at only 16ft, the cord is a little short, but it’s easy to resolve this problem with an extension.
Overall, a recommended option if you are looking for a lightweight and affordable vacuum from the market, that is suitable for a wide range of uses. If that’s what you need, this should be high on your list of possibilities.
If you are interested in hand-held vacuum, you can read our post: Best Handheld Vacuum
What We Like
- Convenient cord storage – keeps it out of the way as you work
- Extremely lightweight – makes it easy to handle
- Excellent value for money – among the least expensive options available
- Suitable for many surfaces – carpet, bare floor, upholstery and more
- Versatile 3-in-1 design – light stick vac, stairs mode or handheld
What We Don’t Like
- Loses suction power as it fills – may need to empty it after cleaning each room
- Short cord – only 16ft, could be longer
3. Best Upgrade: Dyson V7 Trigger Lightweight Vacuum
- Capacity (volume) - .15 gallon; Cord free; Hassle free; No cord to unravel, plug in, drag around and restrict your reach; You can quickly and easily clean when you need to
- Tools included: Mini motorized tool, combination tool, crevice tool
- Powered by Dyson digital motor V7; The most powerful handheld vacuum; Up to 30 minutes of fade free suction; With fade free lithium ion batteries, suction starts strong and stays strong
Dyson has established itself as one of the market leaders when it comes to innovative, powerful high-end vacuum cleaners, and this unit is the company’s solution for anyone looking for a lightweight model.
As you would expect from a Dyson, it offers an impressive level of suction power, especially on the top setting. It is also designed to pick up even the finest dust and microscopic particles, giving you a deep level of cleaning impossible with less expensive models.
We like the fact that it comes with three different tools, a mini motorized tool, a combination tool, and a crevice tool, making it versatile enough for a range of applications.
Another useful feature is the hygienic dirt ejection system – this allows you to empty the vacuum without the need to touch the contents or get your hands dirty.
Having said that, one negative is that the dirt ejection system is a little tricky to master – although once you know how to do it, it becomes easier.
Another downside is that the battery life is a little disappointing. Although this is understandable with such a powerful unit, on the top setting you can only expect around 15-20 minutes before you need to recharge.
All in all, this delivers everything you would expect from a brand like Dyson. It is powerful, versatile and reliable – and despite the high price tag, still represents good value for money.
What We Like
- Decent power – especially on high-strength suction mode
- Picks up fine dust and microscopic particles – thanks to 15-cyclone system
- Includes three tools – mini-motorized tool, combination tool, and crevice tool
- Hygienic dirt ejection system – no need to touch the dirt
- Cordless design – for practicality and ease of use
What We Don’t Like
- Battery life slightly disappointing – especially in high-power mode
- Emptying mechanism tricky to master – although ok when you know how
4. Best for Under Furniture: Hoover Sh20030 Lightweight Vacuum
- CYCLONIC TECHNOLOGY: Ensures a consistent cleaning Experience with no loss of suction
- EXTREME RECLINE HANDLE: Reaches under furniture for easier access without having to move things around
- EDGE CLEANING BRISTLES: Removes dirt, dust and pet hair up against those hard to reach edges
This is a stick vacuum cleaner from a well-respected brand Hoover that would work as a primary unit for people living in small homes. Alternatively, it would work well as a backup for smaller jobs for those who live in larger houses.
Its WindTunnel technology allows for seamless transitions between different floor types, for example from wood to carpet. It is also very easy to maneuver thanks to Hoover’s Swivel Steering system, making it ideal for areas with furniture and other obstacles to avoid.
One feature we like is the extreme reclining handle. This allows you to push it right under low furniture to catch dirt and dust that you might otherwise miss. Another useful addition is the non-marking wheels that make it suitable for use on delicate wood floors.
Other useful additions include the edge cleaning bristles that help when cleaning along walls. The rinseable filter will also save you money down the line since you won’t have to pay for new filters when the old one becomes clogged up.
And now to mention one or two drawbacks. We found that this vacuum needs emptying quite often – people with larger areas to clean might find this a little frustrating.
Another issue is that this unit is on the loud side – so probably not the best option if you are sensitive to noise.
Generally speaking, we are fans of Hoover products, and this vacuum is no different. It is a good option if you are looking for a reasonably-priced model from the market that will easily deal with any day-to-day cleaning tasks. Another option that’s well worth looking into.
What We Like
- Effortless transitions between floor types – thanks to WindTunnel tech
- Easy to maneuver – with unique Swivel Steering system
- Extreme recline handle – lets you reach right underneath furniture
- Non-marking wheels – ideal for delicate hard floors
- Edge-cleaning bristles – pick up everything when vacuuming along walls
What We Don’t Like
- Needs to be emptied quite often – especially if you have a larger home
- Noisy machine – not ideal if you prefer a quieter vacuum
5. Best for Hardwood Floors: Onson C17 Lightweight Cordless Vacuum
- 【SUPER CLEANING POWER】ONSON LATEST VERSION supports quiet, powerful 250-watt suction in MAX mode, suck up dust,pet hairs on hardwood floor minutes.
- 【CORDLESS CONVENIENCE】Wireless design help you get rid of hassle of a cord, and still provides an impressive 20Kpa of suction to give you a deep, thorough Cleaning.
- 【LIGHTWEIGHT PLUS】Weighing under 3.08lbs,easy to clean up high, down low and everywhere in between. It can also convert into a handheld vacuum, and comes with two snap-on tools.
This is an innovative and inexpensive lightweight cordless vacuum from Onson. It is suitable for use on both carpet and hardwood floors and is designed to pick up dirt, dust, hair and bacteria.
It features two different brushes, one for hardwood and one for carpet, meaning you can use it on whatever kind of floor you have. It also comes with several different attachments, giving it an extra level of versatility to deal with a range of cleaning tasks.
One thing that makes this vacuum stand out is the built-in LED that illuminates your working area, allowing you to see clearly, even when cleaning under furniture or in dark corners.
At 4.85lbs, it is super-lightweight, making it easy for anyone to use. It has a one-click dirt release feature for ease of emptying, and the washable filter means you won’t have to spend money on replacements each time the filter becomes clogged.
On the downside, we find that it’s a little underpowered – while it’s quite capable of dealing with normal day-to-day tasks, you might find yourself going over the same spot more than once with more stubborn areas of dirt.
Also, the battery power is a little limited, especially in high-power mode – you will be lucky to get 20 minutes if you use it flat-out.
To summarize, this is a decent option if you want a vac that doesn’t cost too much on the market, If you just need a lightweight vac to take care of normal cleaning duties, this is another option that should be on your radar.
What We Like
- LED lights – illuminates dark corners and underneath furniture
- 2 brushes for different surfaces – hardwood brush and rug brush
- Very lightweight – only 4.85lbs
- One-click waste release – quick and easy to empty
- Washable filter – don’t need to buy replacements
What We Don’t Like
- A little underpowered – may take several passes to get everything
- Limited battery life – especially on full power
6. Best Lightweight Vacuum for Carpet: Eureka NEN110A
- Innovative Multi-Surface vacuum: Deep clean with the whirlwind canister vacuum. This vacuum features an integrated airflow control on the handle that can be easily switched at your fingertips. It includes three settings: carpet, upholstery & hard floors. Dust cup capacity - 1.2 liters
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver: vacuum anywhere around your home with ease with this lightweight vacuum. The Eureka whirlwind vacuum cleaner weighs less than 8 pounds and can easily maneuver under and around furniture and stairs thanks to its swivel steering and telescoping metal Wand
- 3L dust container, no maintenance costs: No bags or filters required. The whirlwind has a Bagless design and uses washable filters. Rinse the filters as needed and you’re ready to go
This lightweight corded canister vacuum from Eureka is bagless, featuring a 3l dust container so you won’t need to empty it as often.
It is designed for use on different surfaces – it has three settings, one for carpet, one for hard floors and one for upholstery – making it a versatile machine suitable for a range of applications.
There is also an airflow switch on the handle, making it easy and practical to switch between different modes. You will also find a built-in crevice tool on the handle, meaning you don’t need to attach separate parts to clean in hard-to-reach areas.
One thing we like about this is that there are no bags and the filter is washable. This means that after you buy it, you won’t need to buy any replacement components to keep it running
It also runs very quietly, making it an ideal choice for people who are sensitive to noise.
One negative is that although it has decent power on hard floors, it has less suction when it comes to carpet – although it will still suck up most debris with a couple of passes. Also, the 16ft cord might be on the short side for some people.
In sum, this is an inexpensive, lightweight vacuum that performs well for something at this price point on the market. It is practical and convenient, and it is something that most people would find useful to have in their home.
What We Like
- Bagless and with washable filters – no need to buy replacement items
- Small and lightweight – very easy to maneuver
- 3 settings for different surfaces – carpet, hard floor and upholstery
- Airflow control on handle – for ease of use
- Quiet operation – good if you don’t like noisy vacuums
What We Don’t Like
- Suction on carpet slightly lacking – not as powerful as on hard floors
- Short cord – 16ft might not be enough for some
7. Best Handheld: BLACK+DECKER CHV1410L Lightweight Handheld Vacuum
- Lithium Ion for long battery life and outstanding performance; Always ready holds a charge for upto 18 months
- Long life, Lightweight, and no memory effect.Suction Power 15.2 AW; Dustbowl Capacity: 20.6 ounces
- Smart Charge Technology uses upto 50 percent less energy,air Watts: 15.2 Watts, Voltage: 16V MAX
If you want a lightweight and convenient solution for keeping your home clean and dust-free, one option is a handheld vacuum. They are smaller and easier to use than larger models, and if that sounds useful, this Black+Decker unit could be worth a look.
We like the way the nozzle can be rotated or extended. This makes it extra-practical for cleaning in tight spaces, along crevices and in any other hard-to-reach spaces where dust and dirt collect.
It features a cyclonic suction action that helps to keep the filter clear, allowing it to maintain its power, even as it fills up.
Another plus is that the dirt bowl and filter are easy to remove and can be washed clean, making maintenance extremely easy – you will be able to keep in optimum condition with a minimum of fuss.
The biggest downside for us is that the battery is built-in and is not replaceable. This is fine while it lasts, but once the battery dies, the whole unit becomes useless and will need to be replaced – making this essentially a disposable vacuum.
The other issue we have is with the power. It can’t match many larger vacuums on the market – although, with this kind of inexpensive handheld model, you wouldn’t expect it to, and it performs well enough for what it is.
All in all, this is an affordable option that does what it’s designed for. As long as you don’t expect the performance levels of a larger vacuum, this small handheld option could be the cleaning solution you are looking for.
What We Like
- Cyclonic action – keeps filter clean and maintains power
- Extendable, rotating nozzle – easy to reach difficult spaces
- Washable dirt bowl and filter – for easy maintenance
- Holds charge for 18 months – always ready when you need it
- Very reasonable price – represents excellent value for money
What We Don’t Like
- Battery not replaceable – when it dies, the vacuum is useless
- Lacks power of larger vacuums – but this is understandable
How To Choose A Lightweight Vacuum: A Buyer’s Guide
If you are thinking about buying a lightweight vac from the market, you are probably wondering about the most important factors to consider. Let’s look at some of these now.
When choosing a lightweight vacuum, one of the first things you need to look at is the style you want. Do you want an upright version, a canister vacuum or a handheld one?
Upright vacuums are comfortable to use, not requiring you to bend over, and they usually deliver good power. Canister vacuums, on the other hand, are perhaps more versatile, offering a range of attachments and heads, allowing you to clean hard-to-reach spots.
Another option is a handheld model. These are the lightest and can be used to clean just about anywhere. However, generally speaking, they offer less power than other types.
All styles of vacuum have their merits and their uses – the way to choose the right one for you is to consider what kind of work you will need it for most and then to go for one best suited to that kind of task.
Cord or battery?
One of the big decisions you will have to make is choosing between a corded vacuum or a battery-powered one.
The advantage of a corded model is that it never runs out of power. As long as you are within reach of a power outlet, you can simply keep working until the job is done. However, the cord limits your range – and it may also get in the way as you work.
With a battery-powered version, you have no limitations on where you can use it. This means you can work anywhere in your home or even take it outside to clean your car without the need to plug into a power outlet. There is also no cord to get in the way.
However, battery life is limited, so if you need to work for extended periods, a battery-powered model might not be the right choice for you.
If you opt for a corded version, make sure the cord is long enough for your needs. Will the cord allow you to plug into the outlet and still let you reach all parts of your home?
If you choose battery, make sure the battery life is long enough for your needs. Also, bear in mind that battery life can be significantly shorter when you use a vacuum on full power.
One of the other important factors to consider is how powerful a vac is. Do you need something with lots of power to pick up stubborn patches of dirt or is it just for occasional cleaning jobs? Make sure you choose one that is up to the tasks you have in mind.
Not all vacuums are suitable for all surfaces, so you need to be sure the one you are thinking of buying will work for what you need it for. Does it work on carpets? Rugs? Hard floors? Upholstery? In cars? These are all points to consider.
If you are looking for a lightweight vac from the market, mobility is likely to be one of your key concerns. How much does it weigh? How easy is it to maneuver? Can it easily reach those inaccessible spots where dirt collects? Make sure you think about this before buying.
A practical and convenient cleaning solution
Lightweight vacs are a practical and convenient cleaning solution that enable you to take care of many household cleaning tasks with ease. They are easy to carry, simple to use and allow you to reach more inaccessible spots in your home.
There are now so many to choose from on the market, and they come in a range of styles and at a variety of price points. If you have decided you want one for your home but are still having trouble making a decision, any of our top picks would be a great place to start looking.